Whether or not you have a specific career goal in mind, it's never too early to meet with a career advisor to discuss your occupational dreams, ambitions, career path ideas, plans, or concerns.
We are here to help you:
- Decide what academic major/minor to select or add; explore graduate school decisions
- Learn about different career paths; understand how your academic program translates into a career; identify jobs/careers related to your current or potential skill set
- Prepare a resume and cover letter; develop a job/internship search strategy
- Practice for a job/internship interview and salary negotiations, build your networking skills, and more!
You can meet with your advisor in person or over Zoom. Schedule your appointment through Handshake. If you have questions, please email email@example.com.
You can cancel your appointment without penalty online up to 24 hours before the appointment time. Failure to attend three scheduled appointments without providing sufficient notice will result in a suspension of your advising privileges for the semester.
Internship and Career Advising
As an undergraduate, graduate student, or alum within one year of graduation, you can tap into the expertise and guidance of a peer advisor or career advisor dedicated to your school.
Schedule your 30- or 60-minute session with your CAS, SIS, SOC, SOE, or SPA advisor online using Handshake.
Merit Awards Advising
Nationally competitive, merit-based scholarships offer students and alumni the means to study abroad, fund graduate education, and gain high-level work experience.
Search our National Scholarship Directory for opportunities. Then schedule an appointment with a merit awards advisor to learn more and to compete for specific awards. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
Alumni Career Advising
If you graduated more than one year ago, you are invited to meet with our alumni career advisor, Alyssa Best, for up to three 30-minute appointments at no charge. Alyssa works with American University SPA, CAS and SOC alumni. Kogod alumni, please contact the Kogod Office of Career Engagement; SIS alumni should contact the SIS Office of Career Development.
Changing careers or finding work in a tight market can be challenging. Alyssa offers appointments each Wednesday from 12-7 p.m. Schedule an appointment with Handshake.
Stop by the Career Center for a quick, 15-minute session with a career or peer advisor, or drop-in virtually during the hours listed below. Access the Zoom link through Handshake.
See the drop-in schedule on Handshake.
See the Peer Advisor drop-in schedule on Handshake.
Why meet with a peer advisor?
Peer Advisors are undergraduate students trained to help fellow undergraduate students with career-related questions.
- Learn about Career Center services and upcoming events.
- Get tips on enhancing your resume and cover letters.
- Begin your job or internship search.
- See demos of online resources, such as Handshake, GoinGlobal, Alumnifire, and more.
- Discuss ways your club or student organization can collaborate with the Career Center
Why meet with a career advisor?
Career Advisors are AU Career Center staff who meet with undergraduate students, graduate students, and alumni.
- Learn effective search strategies to attain jobs and internships.
- Understand your interests, skills, personality traits, and work values through self-assessment.
- Hone your research skills to explore career and advanced degree options.
- Choose a major, concentration, or advanced degree that aligns with your career goals.
- Enhance your application materials, including resumes, cover letters, and portfolios.
- Refine your professional image and effectively present yourself during networking events and interviews.
- Evaluate job offers and compensation packages and sharpen your negotiation skills.