The Frequency AU's Apartment-Style Residence Hall
This apartment-style hall offers in-suite kitchens and laundry, a fitness center, roof deck, community lounges and study spaces, and other amenities in the heart of the popular Tenleytown shopping and restaurant area. It's an ideal location for AU students looking for a blend of apartment-style living and a fully supported residential experience.
The Frequency is five minutes from main campus by the free AU shuttle, or a short 15-20 minute walk. It is located only steps away from the Tenleytown/American University metro stop for easy access to downtown Washington, DC. Nearby restaurants and shops include Whole Foods, CVS, Target, Starbucks, Panera and a host of other conveniences.
As with all AU residence halls, the Frequency has 24/7 front desk and can only be entered with your key fob. Professional and student staff live at the Frequency to support residents.
A fun bit of trivia: The Frequency got its name because it was the home, for several decades, of AU's radio station, WAMU (88.5), which is also Washington, DC's National Public Radio (NPR) affiliate. Many famous Washingtonians and world leaders have passed through its doors!
What Is Provided
Each unit is furnished and ready for students to move-in. Each resident is provided a bed frame, standard twin mattress, dresser set and night stand. Each apartment will also receive at least one desk (free-standing or built-in) and one desk chair to share. Residents of two-bedroom and large one-bedroom apartments will also receive a couch and dining furniture.
Our virtual tours are representative of a given room type. Each space varies based on room sizes and dimensions. Each virtual tour includes some decorative items to show what the room looks like when occupied, but these items are not included in rooms.
Click below to view virtual tours of the Frequency:
- Frequency Double - Small Studio (2 occupants)
- Frequency Double - Large Studio (2 occupants)
Frequency Double - 1 Bedroom Loft (2 occupants)
- Rooms 601-603 and 614-618
- Frequency Double - 1 Bedroom (non-loft) - see floor plans below (2 occupants)
- Frequency Double - 2 Bedroom (4 occupants)
- Frequency Lobby & Community Spaces
Personalize Your Room
Decorative and additional items (bedding, MicroFridge) can be purchased from the HRL coordinated vendors through our Personalize Your Room webpage. Each room will include the furniture noted on this webpage.
- 24/7 staffed front desk
- Secure main entrance and student apartments
- Mail & package delivery
- Private & group study spaces
- Rooftop patio
- A gym featuring treadmills, stationary bikes, and weights
- Indoor bike storage
- On-site parking at an additional cost
- Kitchen with stainless steel appliances
- Convection microwave-oven and glass stove top
- Closet storage
- Washer/dryer unit
- Full bathroom
- Digital thermostat
Who can live in Frequency Apartments?
- 2023-2024 academic year: upperclass students.
- 2022-2023 academic year: upperclass students.
These floor plans are representative and may vary in a specific unit. Unit measurements listed on floor plans are an average for this unit type and the measurements for the full apartment.
- Small Studio (2 occupant)
- Large Studio (2 occupant)
- Large 1 Bedroom (2 occupant)
- Large 1 Bedroom (Loft) - No access to balcony - (2 occupant)
- Rooms 601-603 and 614-618
- 2 Bedroom (4 occupants)
The Frequency Apartments has WiFi connections within each unit. In each apartment, there is a sticker on the WiFi router, located in the living room of 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom units, and in the living space of studio units. This sticker contains the login information for each unit's WiFi access point. For WiFi access in community spaces, please see signs on the wall for connection instructions.
16 parking spaces are available at the Frequency. All Frequency parking charges are added to the student's AU bill in advance of each semester's fall move-in.
- Summer 2022 parking can be requested during the time a resident is utilizing summer housing. Follow the request instructions below.
- Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 rates will be shared here in July.
Parking can be requested by emailing email@example.com. Parking spaces will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Please be aware that the parking garage entrance is 69 inches or 5.75 feet.
Frequency parking permits do not provide parking privileges on the AU campus. Please contact AU Parking & Commuter Services for parking on the AU campus property.
Frequency residents should submit maintenance requests through email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 202-919-5871.
Please include your name, apartment number and specific details about the maintenance issue.