Selected Faculty Research
- William H Wilson, Peter W Chung, Zois Boukouvalas, & Moritz Elan (2022, December), Application of machine learning and artificial intelligence methods to energetics science and technology. Energetics Science and Technology, IOP Publishing, Book Chapter.
- Puerto, M., Kellett, M., Nikopoulou, R., Fuge, M. D., Doherty, R., Chung, P. W., & Boukouvalas, Z. (2022), Assessing the trade-off between prediction accuracy and interpretability for topic modeling on energetic materials corpora. arXiv preprint.
- Damasceno, L. P., Shafer, A., Japkowicz, N., Cavalcante, C. C., & Boukouvalas, Z. (2022), Efficient Multivariate Data Fusion for Misinformation Detection During High Impact Events. International Conference on Discovery Science (pp. 253-268). Springer, Cham.
- Casey CP, Hartings MR, Knapp MA, Malloy EJ, and Knee KL. (2022), Characterizing the association between oil and gas development and water quality at a regional scale. Freshwater Science, 41:236-252.
- Burch E, Culver DC, Alonzo M, and Malloy EJ. (2022), Landscape features and forest maturity promote the occurrence of invertebrates specialized for seepage spring in urban Washington, DC, forests. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems. 32:922-929.
- E. T. Brandley, A. E. Kirkland, M. Baron, J. N. Baraniuk, and K. F. Holton (2022), The Effect of the Low Glutamate Diet on the Reduction of Psychiatric Symptoms in Veterans With Gulf War Illness: A Pilot Randomized-Controlled Trial. Frontiers in Psychiatry, Sec. Mood Disorders, 13.
- R. Corizzo, M. Baron, and N. Japkowicz (2022). CPDGA: Change Point Driven Growing Auto-Encoder for Lifelong Anomaly Detection. Knowledge Based Systems, 247.
- M. Baron, E. Yashchin, and A. Takken (2022), Wafer tomography: a likelihood based approach to the prediction of integrated-circuit yield. Artificial Intelligence, Big Data and Data Science in Statistics, edited by A. Steland and K.-L. Tsui, pp. 227-252. Springer.
- Moroney, C., Crothers, E., Mittal, S., Joshi, A., Adalı, T., Mallinson, C., ... & Boukouvalas, Z. (2021, October). The Case for Latent Variable Vs Deep Learning Methods in Misinformation Detection: An Application to COVID-19. International Conference on Discovery Science (pp. 422-432). Springer, Cham.
- Liu, Y., Boukouvalas, Z., & Japkowicz, N. (2021, October). A Semi-supervised Framework for Misinformation Detection. In International Conference on Discovery Science (pp. 57-66). Springer, Cham.
- Boukouvalas, Z., Puerto, M., Elton, D. C., Chung, P. W., & Fuge, M. D. (2021, January). Independent vector analysis for molecular data fusion: Application to property prediction and knowledge discovery of energetic materials. In 2020 28th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO) (pp. 1030-1034). IEEE.
- Damasceno, L. P., Cavalcante, C. C., Adalı, T., & Boukouvalas, Z. (2021, June). Independent Vector Analysis Using Semi-Parametric Density Estimation via Multivariate Entropy Maximization. In ICASSP 2021-2021 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP) (pp. 3715-3719). IEEE.
- Kapellusch JM, Bao SS, Malloy EJ, Thiese MS, Merryweather AS, and Hegmann KT. Validation of the revised strain index for predicting risk of incident carpal tunnel syndrome in a prospective cohort study. Ergonomics. 2021;64:1369-1378. DOI: 10.1080/00140139.2021.1940306.
- Carlson EJ, Malloy EJ, Brauer L, Golomb RG, Grant JE, Mansueto CS, and Haaga DAF. Comprehensive behavioral (ComB) treatment of trichotillomania: A randomized clinical trial. Behavior Therapy. 2021;52:1543-1557.
- Meyer MJ, Malloy EJ, and Coull BA. Bayesian wavelet packet historical functional linear models. Statistics and Computing. 2021;31,Article:14.
- A. E. Kirkland, M. Baron, J. W. VanMeter, J. N. Baraniuk, and K. F. Holton. The Low Glutamate Diet Improves Cognitive Functioning in Veterans with Gulf War Illness and Resting-State EEG Potentially Predicts Response. Nutritional Neuroscience, 1-12, 2021.
- M. Baron, S. Ye, and B. Chattopadhyay. Limited-fluctuation credibility under uncertain priors, Variance, 14 (1): 2021.
- K. F. Holton, S. S. Ramachandra, S. L. Murray, M. Baron, and J. N. Baraniuk. Effect of the Low Glutamate Diet on Inflammatory Cytokines in Veterans with Gulf War Illness (GWI): A Pilot Study. Life Sciences, 280, 119637: September 2021.
- K. Faber, R. Corizzo, B. Sniezynski, M. Baron and N. Japkowicz. WATCH: Wasserstein Change Point Detection for High-Dimensional Time Series Data. IEEE International Conference on Big Data, pp. 4450-4459, 2021.
- Prado-Oviedo, NA, Carlstead K, Malloy EJ, Paris S, Wielebnowski N, Rockwood LL, and Brown JL. Ovarian cyclicity and prolactin status in zoo African elephants (Loxodonta africana) in North American zoos may be influenced by life experience and individual temperament. Hormones and Behavior. 2020;104804.
- Thiese MS, Lu ML, Merryweather A, Tang R, Ferguson S, Malloy EJ, Marras W, Hegmann K, and Kapellusch J. Psychosocial factors and low back pain outcomes in a pooled analysis of low back pain studies. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. Sep 2020, 62(10):810-815.
- K. F. Holton, A. E. Kirkland, M. Baron, S. S. Ramachandra, M. T. Langan, E. T. Brandley, and J. N. Baraniuk. The Low Glutamate Diet Effectively Improves Pain and Other Symptoms of Gulf War Illness, Nutrients, 12(9):2593, 2020.
Confirmation of the Low Glutamate Diet as a Treatment for Gulf War Illness
Effects of Age and Lesion Location on Motor, Cognitive, and Behavioral Outcomes in Pediatric Posterior Fossa Patients
- PI: Catherine Stoodley
Investigator/Statistician: Elizabeth Malloy
- $396,041 from National Cancer Institute, ending 2025
Data-Driven Multi-modal Fusion for the Analysis of Energetic Material Systems
- PI: Zois Boukouvalas
- $200,000 from Energetics Technology Center, ending 2023
- Using Advanced Machine Learning techniques and data from multiple sources, and of different nature, i.e. multi-modal, to design, prototype, and evaluate an end-to-end system for the synthesis, analysis, and handling of energetic materials.
Human Assisted Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing Approaches for Energetics
- PI: Zois Boukouvalas
- $160,000 from Energetics Technology Center, ending 2023
- Develop human assisted machine learning and natural language processing approaches to infer information about energetic materials and long-range precision fires technologies from highly technical open literature sources.
Analysis of Hierarchical Eigentasks and Change-Point Detection in SRI Lifelong Learning Ma
- PI: Nathalie Japkowicz
Co-PIs: Roberto Corizzo, Michael Baron
- $210,00 from Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (subcontract with SRI International), ended 2021
Statistical Detection of New Patterns and Potential Threats in Geospatial Sequences of Social and Political Events
- PI: Michael Baron
- $200,000 from National Science Foundation, ended 2021
Data Analysis, Visualization, and Knowledge Discovery for Early Detection of Child Victimization.
- PI: Maria Barouti, Zois Boukouvalas, Nathalie Japkowicz, Alex Godwin, Alexandra Kapatou, Jane Wall, Toks Fashola, Mary W. Gray, Nimai Mehta
- $4000 from CAS Faculty Mellon Fund, 2019
Child Abuse and Neglect in the United States: A Visual Exploration
- Mellon Grant awareded to Data Science MS student, Allison Ragan Spring/Summer 2021