You are here: American University School of International Service International Programs University Travel Approval Process

Independent activities abroad?

All SIS graduate students who intend to undertake any academic-related activities abroad, either for credit or non-credit bearing, that is not arranged through the SIS Office of International Programs (OIP) must register this activity with SIS Graduate Advising and Global Safety.

This includes:

  • Internships
  • Research projects / independent study
  • Conferences
  • Students traveling abroad for an SIS practica course during the fall and spring semesters
  • Students traveling for the Boren Fellowship
  • Any other independent academic activity abroad


In order to obtain approval for the desired activity, course registration, and to be covered by the mandatory international travel insurance, students participating in any of the above-mentioned activities must complete the Global Safety Travel Approval application. If students intend that the activity be counted for academic credit or towards their degree, they must first consult with their graduate academic adviser. Next they must also complete the Global Safety Approval Process.

Links for this process are outlined on the Covid FAQ Community Resource page. Please select either Graduate Student International Travel Request or Graduate Student Domestic Travel Request depending on your intended travel.

This process is required for students who are completing an activity that is for credit or non-credit but for degree requirements (such as an internship or independent research). This process requires you to provide information on details about your itinerary and requires signatures from an academic advisor and/or faculty supervisor. Please plan ahead to have a discussion with your advisors to ensure that the activity aligns with your academic program.

Please Note: Students participating in an SIS practica course during the fall or spring semesters do not need to receive signatures from their faculty or academic advisor. They must, however, still apply for Global Safety Travel Approval.

As part of registering with Global Safety students will be covered by AU's emergency international travel insurance. There are some restrictions regarding eligibility for this insurance (in particular, for AU students traveling to a country in which they hold citizenship). Please contact SIS Abroad to discuss your eligibility for the insurance if you have questions or concerns. 

The term of your application is based on when you begin your travel dates. For example, if your date of departure falls during the summer program application dates, you will submit your application for the summer term.


Interning or Conducting Research Abroad?

If you plan to travel abroad to engage in research or an internship for credit or for your professional experience requirement, please be sure to apply for travel approval through Global Safety.

Questions? Contact

Apply Now