Larry Engel Assoc Professor School of Communication
- Additional Positions at AU
- Division Director, Film and Media Arts
- Associate Director, Center for Environmental Filmmaking
- Faculty Affiliate, School of International Service
- MFA, School of the Arts, Columbia University, NYC; MS, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY; BS, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- Favorite Spot on Campus
With more than 40 years of teaching and filmmaking, and 250 projects, his documentaries appear on PBS, the Discovery Channels, and National Geographic, among many other outlets. Awards include a Daytime Emmy for Best Cinematography and the Mountain Spirit award from Mountainfilm in Telluride. His teaching focuses on theory, production and emerging media. His favorite classes include Classroom-in-the-Wild: Extreme HD Alaska, and The Practice of Environmentalism that takes students to the Galapagos Islands and Cuba.
The PBS series "The Human Spark," hosted by Alan Alda, and directed and photographed by Engel (pbs.org/humanspark) won the prestigious AAAS Kavli Science Journalism Award for In-Depth Reporting, his second such award..
"Potato Heads: Keepers of the Crop" premiered at the DC Environmental Film Festival and has played in festivals around the world.
Engel is a member of the Directors Guild of America, Writers Guild of America–East, Directors UK, and the Potomac Appalachia Trail Club–Mountaineering Division.
He is passionate about environmental and conservation issues and works with many regional nonprofits with students in CB-designated course. He also loves to rock climb, and mountain and road bike. His favorite place on the planet is Antarctica.
- See Also
- Thoughts on Prison
- See some of Professor Engel's clips
- For the Media
- To request an interview for a news story, call AU Communications at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
COMM-610 Principles of Video Production
SIS-730 Skills Inst in Int'l Affairs: Smartphone Media Production
COMM-701 Grad Sem Film Theory&Practice
COMM-486 Documentary Production
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Larry Engel's Environmental Presentation at the Corto e Fieno Film Festival, Lake Orta, Italy.