Claudia Myers Assoc Professor School of Communication
- Additional Positions at AU
- Head of Art in Entertainment Concentration
- BA Yale University; MFA Columbia University's School of the Arts
Claudia Myers was named one of "10 Filmmakers to Watch" by Independent Magazine in 2015. Most recently Claudia wrote and directed ABOVE THE SHADOWS, a supernatural drama starring Olivia Thirlby, Alan Ritchson, Jim Gaffigan and Megan Fox. The film opened the 2019 Brooklyn Film Festival where it won the Audience Award for Best Narrative Feature. After its theatrical release, it is now on Hulu. Prior to this, Claudia wrote, directed, and produced the drama FORT BLISS starring Michelle Monaghan, Ron Livingston & Pablo Schreiber. The film won several festival awards and top critics for The Washington Post and Philadelphia Inquirer both cited Fort Bliss among the best films of 2014. Prior to this Claudia wrote and directed KETTLE OF FISH with Matthew Modine and Gina Gershon, which premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival and won a Nickelodeon Screenwriting Award. Claudia also co-wrote WILD OATS which won second place at the Slamdance Screenplay Competition. The film stars Shirley MacLaine, Jessica Lange and Demi Moore.
Outside of narrative fiction, Claudia has worked with veterans and active duty soldiers to make a number of films about the military community. Among these, her documentary THE LONG ROAD BACK won two Telly Awards, an Aurora Award, and was nominated for a regional Emmy.
As a filmmaker Claudia has won numerous awards, was twice a finalist for the Sundance Screenwriters Lab, and is an alumna of the Hamptons Screenwriters Lab. Claudia is currently in development on several features.
- See Also
- Claudia Myers Films
- Hollywood Reporter: Megan Fox, Olivia Thirlby, Alan Ritchson Board Shadow Girl
- Olivia Thirlby, Alan Ritchson to Star in Magic Realism Story "Shadow Girl"
- For the Media
- To request an interview for a news story, call AU Communications at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
COMM-464 Directing Actors for Camera
COMM-506 Writing the Short Film
COMM-420 Topics in Mass Media: Advanced Writing for Film/TV
COMM-438 Production Practicum: Advanced Directing
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- 2011 Hamptons Lab, "Fort Bliss"
- 2011 Sundance Screenwriters Lab Finalist, "Fort Bliss"
- 2009 Screenplay Festival (Finalist), "As You Are"
- 2008 Page Screenwriting Awards (Quarter Finalist), "The Fourth Trimester"
- Slamdance Screenwriting Competition (2nd Place), "Wild Oats"
- Nickeolodeon Screenwriting Award, "Kettle of Fish"
- Sundance Screenwriters Lab Finalist, "Clinical"
- TIVA-DC Best Independent Film "Fort Bliss"
- Champs Elysees Franco-American Film Festival Audience Award "Fort Bliss"
- Newport Beach Film Festival Outstanding Achievement in Filmmaking "Fort Bliss"
- San Diego Film Festival Excellence in Acting Award Michelle Monaghan ("Fort Bliss")
- GI Film Festival Best Narrative Feature "Fort Bliss"
- Newport Beach Film Festival Audience Award, "Below the Beltway"
- Rosebud Film & Video Festival (Best of Show), "The Kindness of Strangers"
- New Line Cinema Development Award, "The Kindness of Strangers"
- Angelus Awards (Finalist), "The Kindness of Strangers
- Silver Images Film Festival (Best Film), "Buddy & Grace"
- DC Shorts Audience Award, "Buddy & Grace"
- National Board of Review Award, "Buddy & Grace"
- Lifetime Student Filmmaker Award, "Buddy & Grace"
- 2009 Regional Emmy Award Nominee, "The Long Road Back"
- Silver Telly "The Long Road Back," documentary category
- Classic Tellly "The Long Road Back," documentary category
- Aurora Award (Gold) "The Long Road Back," documentary/bio
- 2008 CODiE Award "Outside the Wire," best workforce training solution
- Brandon Hall Excellence in Learning Award, "Outside the Wire"
Work In Progress
- "Below the Beltway" on Showtime 2010-present
- "Women at War" on the Pentagon Channel March 2009-2010
- "The Long Road Back" on the Pentagon Channel 2008-2009
- "Kettle of Fish" on Showtime 2007-2008
Notable Film Festival Screenings
- Newport Beach Film Festival, "Below the Beltway" (premiere)
- GI Film Festival, "The Long Road Back"
- Tribeca Film Festival, "Kettle of Fish" (premiere)
- Sundance Film Festival, "Buddy & Grace"
- Hollywood Film Festival, "The Kindness of Strangers" (premiere)
- Slamdance Reading Series, "Wild Oats"
Work In Progress
- Writer/Director "Shadow Girl" starring Olivia Thirlby, Alan Ritchson, Megan Fox
- Writer "Radical" pilot
- Writer, Director, Producer "Fort Bliss" starring Michelle Monaghan, Ron LIvingston, Oakes Fegley, Pablo Schreiber. Released domestically by Phase 4 Film. International distribution by Voltage Pictures. Also available on iTunes, Netflix and Amazon.
- Screenwriter, Co-producer, "Wild Oats" directed by Andy Tennant. Starring Shirley MacLaine, Jessica Lange, Demi Moore. Released by Miramax.
- Producer, "Below the Beltway" starring Tate Donovan, Sarah Clarke, Kip Pardue, Spencer Garrett, Noah Wyle, written by Jim Wareck & Brad Weir, directed by Dave Fraunces, produced by Jim Wareck, Claudia Myers, Spencer Garrett. DVD release by Otter Creek.
- Writer, Director, "Kettle of Fish" starring Matthew Modine and Gina Gershon. Premiered at Tribeca Film Festival, theatrical release by Aloha Releasing, DVD release by Screen Media. Available on Netflix.
- Writer, Producer, "Women on the Wing" about the Women Airforce Service Pilots of WWII
- Writer/Producer, "Women at War" on the Pentagon Channel March 2009-2010
- Writer/Producer, "The Long Road Back" on the Pentagon Channel 2008-2009
- Writer, "The War Inside" developed for the U.S. Army with WILL Interactive
- Writer/Director, "Outside the Wire" developed for the U.S. Army with WILL Interactive