American University is required to follow specific steps to ensure that programs are approved for VA Education Benefits processing.
Two major factors are impacting program approvals at this time:
1) All new programs must be approved for VA Education Benefits Processing. New regulations for the program approval process have delayed the approval of new programs in the 2021-2022 academic year. We are continuing to work to have these new program/updates approved. We have also recently submitted new programs for the 2022-23 academic year noted below.
2) Programs where students attend a different site other than AU's main campus (not including online) are being processed differently due to the Comery Act and processing housing allowance based on the actual location the student is attending class, not just defaulting to the main campus. We are waiting on guidance from the VA to get locations outside of AU's main campus approved. Even though the main impact on certifying by location is the housing allowance, no Chapter benefit can be processed if a location is not approved by the State Approving Agency and Veterans Affairs.
This page will serve as a resource for new and current students to determine if your anticipated program of study is approved for VA Education Benefits processing.
- Global International Relations (BA)
- Teaching (MAT) [Urban Teachers]
- LLM Legislation (Washington College of Law)
- All Non-credit programs including but not limited to Executive Coaching and Cybersecurity Professional
- All undergraduate certificates with the exception of: Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Cert
- All professional development certificates
- Dual degree Engineering Program
- Dual Degree programs with Wesley Theological Seminary
- Courses taken at another university through the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area including ROTC
- Chinese Studies
- Liberal Studies
- Neuroscience (MS)
- Sociology, Research, and Practice (MA)
- Teaching (MAT) [Urban Teachers]
- International Affairs Policy Analysis (MA) and Business Administration (Dual Degree)
Graduate Certificate Programs:
- Cyber Policy & Management
- Marketing Analytics European Studies
- Social Innovation for Global Impact
- Training Design and Facilitation
Spanning numerous programs at AU, courses not taken at American University’s main campus located in Washington, D.C. excluding online courses, are currently under review for VA approval. If you are planning to enroll in a program that is taught at an American University subsidiary site (including Study Abroad) or the program is a partnership between AU and another university, please confirm eligibility with the Veteran Services office before enrolling in that program.
Effective August 1, 2020, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is changing their policies and procedures relating to paying VA Education Benefits when students Study Abroad. The VA will only pay for courses abroad for benefit recipients if these courses are required for graduation and the partner institution is eligible to process VA Education Benefits. No longer will students be able to fill electives or other requirements for their degree by going abroad if they can fulfill the requirement at their home campuses.
|International Economic Relations (MA)|
|International Economic Relations: Quantitative Methods (MA)|
|Japanese Studies (BA)|
|Antiracist Administration, Supervision, and Leadership (Grad Cert)|
|Reading and Language Development (Grad Cert)|
|Training Design and Facilitation (Grad Cert)|
|European Studies (Grad Cert)|
Data Science (MS) (Online)